Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Michigan rock is our cornerstone?

I know what you're thinking, how can that be true? How can a rock, painted blue with a yellow "M" on it be the cornerstone of our church? Isn't Jesus supposed to have that position? Well, yes, he is, or so David and I thought until today.  Let me give you a little back ground first and then I'll continue on...

See, we live in MI and well, in this part of the world it's not "acceptable" to be an Ohio State fan! :)  But, David and I (being from OH and WV) ARE OSU fans and are proud to be so.  We're not extreme about it or anything but it's just something fun to be during the fall when everyone else around us is a U of M fan. Well, up until about a year ago, this was a fun thing we had with the church people. David and the congregants would tease each other, gloat accordingly, etc. For his b-day last year David was presented with a really nice OSU, laser cut, rock to put in the flower bed. It was a nice gesture and we promptly put it in our flower bed to display proudly. It wasn't long after this gift a rock, painted blue with a yellow "M" found it's way to the flower bed. We thought it was funny, just a continuation of the usual joking. We would hide it, it'd come back, etc.  After time we just stopped fighting it, things got difficult at church and it didn't seem worth our effort to continue any teasing/joking with rocks or anything else.  

As time has continued I decided I had had enough of the rock and so have hidden it under the front porch. It was immediately noticed that it was missing. Where could it be?  David has been questioned and one even accused him of lying because "there was no way your wife could've moved it!" HA!!  :)  We just dropped it and didn't think anything of it until this morning when I was verbally attacked by one man about the whereabouts of the rock. I calmly (and with as much humor as I could muster) said that we weren't MI fans so figured we'd just hide the rock as I didn't want it in my flower bed. I was promptly told it's not OUR yard and I had no right to do that.  I said sure I did, it is my yard as long as we're here and I didn't like someone just putting things in it.  I was told again that it's NOT my yard, it's the church's and we have enough problems at church without me taking the rock away.  Oh NO!!!!  I didn't know the whole church was going to crumble down now!!!  OK, that was a bit sarcastic, but seriously, readers, isn't this ridiculous?  I mean, really!  The audacity of it all.  

To put it lightly, we are ANGRY!!!!!!!!  This is just one more punch in the gut.  One more indication that we are apparently not welcomed here, by the screaming minority that no one seems to care to stand up to.  Please pray for us if you think about it. We would really appreciate it. Pray that we don't stoop to "their" level and that we live our life in a way that's pleasing to the Lord. 

Oh, and by the way-GO BUCKS! :) :) :) :) 

No comments: