Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Swelled Heart...

Last night we attended the small group of people our age from the church we've been attending. It's made up of 8 couples and between all the couples there are 20 children ranging in age from 7 wks to 12 yrs with most of the kids being in the 3-5 age range. This is the first week we've been able to go, and we were both looking forward to it. We weren't too sure what to expect as far as Cora was concerned as we knew it would be chaotic and also past her bedtime (they meet from 6-9). In any case we walked to the church (literally a 5 min walk for us) and went for a night of fun. I got Cora out of the stroller fully expecting her to cry and cling to me (as she does in the house) since it was massive chaos and very loud with 20 kids running around the fellowship hall! But, wouldn't you know, as soon as I set her down she IMMEDIATELY toddled off and joined the chaos. She was NOT happy when I picked her up to "make" her eat pizza. She was fascinated by all the kids, the balls, the toys she's not seen and so many people just her size.

I experienced 2 different emotions. First, my heart swelled with pride that my little girl was secure enough in my love that she would feel comfortable to go off on her own (something I've heard my mom say numerous times to young moms). But, quickly after that, my heart crumbled into a million pieces as I realized my baby girl is becoming less of a baby as the weeks go by, and I was reminded that the older she gets the less and less she'll need me. Sniff!!!!!! I seriously felt my eyes welling up with tears and had to blink them away. Ok, so those of you who know me, know I don't get too mushy very often and you know this is a big deal (insert eye roll and tongue sticking out).

I was so proud of Cora. She played hard and played well. Only once did I see her try to steal a ball from a little kid, but we worked through that. She also stole a little boys' pair of shoes, but they were returned. She happily walked around with whatever ball she could get her hands on and said an emphatic "HI!" to everyone.

Sigh...she's such a sweetie. I love her so!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so cute! I love that little cutie so much! I love her mommy too!

Ruthie said...

What a big girl! So glad you enjoyed your small group. What a blessing!