This is the 2nd year I've been pregnant during Christmas. And I find myself thinking a lot about Mary, again. What it must have been like to carry the Son of God, did she have morning sickness, did she worry about the health and safety of this child too? Did she have bad days and wonder how was she going to get through this? What was her spiritual journey like during this time of pregnancy? So many things. So many questions without any answers. One day I suppose I'll get to sit with her and ask. This year I've thought a lot about the spiritual aspect of her pregnancy and what lead to her actually being chosen to carry Jesus.
We know Mary was young, probably 14-16, and she had "found favor in God's eyes." That's all we really know for sure about her. However, I think finding favor in God's eyes says a lot! What does it mean to "find favor" in the eyes of God? Mary was many things--innocent, yet I would imagine wise, obedient, and willing to allow her God take her on the path he had for her. I have a feeling 14 was a lot older back then than it is now, but still, seems a lot to ask of a young teen--to be the mother of the Son of God!
I have been thinking about her parents, too. They aren't mentioned in Scripture, but I think we can still speculate a couple things. Because of what we know of Mary's character I have to wonder if her parents were also strong believers and followers of God. I have to wonder if they didn't take their religion and move it into more of a relationship. I'm sure they followed the Law, but I also figure they followed it as an act of worship and obedience to God and not just to follow the Law. I have a feeling they brought Mary up in the Synagogue and taught her everything they could about God. I'm guessing they were a little taken back when she broke "the news" to them, but I imagine their response was similar to their daughter's. Again, just speculations...
And then you have Joseph. I have wondered at times that this man also was a strong believer in God to take an angel's word that Mary was pregnant with God's child and that Joseph should marry her anyway. We all know what the Law said about such situations, but I believe Joseph was a wise man and knew his God well enough to know it was better to obey then to do things his own way or the way the man-made laws said to do it.
I get frustrated at times when I can't go to the library and pick out the biographies of these different characters, but I suppose their complete life stories is not the point. The point of this season is for us to remember that our God loved us so very much that he sent his ONLY son to earth, as a helpless baby, so that we might experience true hope, peace, joy and love.
2 comments:
a lot to ponder! I always find myself wondering, do I find favor with God?
This is really good, Jeni Lee!
love,
mom
Post a Comment