Friday, February 26, 2010

A Very Lovely Lady

I "met" my mother-in-law 4 1/2 years ago through email. Since David and I were dating long distance, through email and phone calls, it was only natural this would be how I meet her! :) I knew she would be my MIL, though I didn't tell her during our first conversation! :) Apparently, one of our first phone conversations was when she was packing David up to leave his job in TX. He and I were talking to each other and he told me he loved me and then handed the phone to his mom. She then told me it was weird hearing him say, "I love you" to another woman. Apparently, I told her to get used to it! :) I don't remember saying that, though it does sound like something I would say! :) :) We have grown to love each other very much and appreciate each other for our differences. I'm sure there are times she wishes I wasn't so blunt, but we almost always end in laughter! :)

My MIL is a very giving person. She gives of herself, her time and her money. She has been a HUGE help to David, Cora and I in all of these ways over the past 4 years, especially this year. She loves us and it shows.

So, why a blog dedicated to my MIL? Well, today marks the last day of work for her. She has worked at Marshall University in Huntington, WV for 33 1/2 years. She has worked all over campus during those 3 decades and is finishing up her time in the athletic department. My husband will, of course, miss all the free tickets to various sporting events, but hopefully he'll get over it!! :) My MIL is a wonderful woman. She was a single mom for most of my husband's life. She worked hard, scraped and saved to make ends meet, and if she was as she is now she did it without complaint. Life was not always easy for her but she did what she had to do to make sure she and David were provided for. I know she will be missed at MU. She was/is a hard worker, and well, just a fun person to have around!

So, what's next for this lovely lady? Well...as God would have it, she's getting married!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo!!!!!!! She met "M" on eHarmony (same place David and I met) a year ago and they will be wed the end of March. We are SO excited for Mom and can't wait for M and his daughter, D, to be a part of our family permanently! Mom has waited a long time for this, and I guess now is the right time! Plus, now that she's retired she'll be able to come see her grandbaby and granddog as often as she wants (within reason, though, Mom! :) :) :) ). Cora and Molly will be so excited!

The photo below is of my MIL and Cora, who was only a few minutes old! I love this photo of her. For a woman who tends to be a bit more reserved in her show of emotion this photo says it all. I love the raw emotion in this photo--the shear joy at holding her first grandchild, the knowing that life has come full circle and she's had a big hand in it.

We love you Mom and are so proud of you and all you've accomplished! Congratulations! Now, go enjoy being a married woman and being retired! :) And...smash that alarm clock! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the tears are flowing now!!!! Thank you my sweet Jeni. I love you too and I promise I won't visit too often!!

Anonymous said...

wow sweetie this is great and sums up mom perfectly.