I've realized I never put to words the birth story of Cora on my blog. I had written it as a note on Facebook, but had never put it here. I wanted to put it in my blog because I feel it's important. I love my baby girl (who isn't at all a baby anymore) and I want to be able to remember that time. I have been thinking a lot about her birth as I prepare for her brother's birth. My biggest thought is, "Lord, let it be so much better please!" Anyway, here is the story of Cora as she entered the world 2 years ago!
***
The story of Cora Ann Hardin began Wednesday, March 25, 2009 when I went to the hospital to be induced at 6:00 p.m. David and I hunkered down for the evening hoping things would go quickly. Wow. It's a good thing we can't see the future because I think there is much we wouldn't do if we could.
My water broke at 3:30 a.m. on TH and the contractions pretty much started then. I called my sister to join us around 5 in the morning and well, it was rough going from there on out. As the day progressed so did my contractions. My doctor highly encouraged me to start taking pitocin so that my labor would progress better. I agreed and the drug was started--just a small dose. I did the hot tub, walking, the exercise ball--nothing seemed help, I remained 2 cm for HOURS. I was getting exhausted, I was weary, my spirits were very low. I had the wonderful help of my sister and husband, who stayed beside me the entire time. They encouraged me and helped me in ways I didn't know I would need.
At around 4 or 5 p.m. on TH I was done. I could not go on. We decided I should get an epidural. They called the person who was on call and she came up to give me the epidural. Talk about a horrifying experience. This woman didn't seem to know what she was doing. She stuck me over and over, time and again, used up 3 kits and only accomplished shooting electrical shocks down one of my legs and horrible back pain. My husband was at his wits' end, I was getting more and more discouraged and my sister wasn't sure what to do. I wanted to cry. How was I going to continue on? I had been in labor for 12 hours now and was still on y 2-3 cm dilated. I still had so far to go but my body was giving out. I talked to the Dr and literally asked him to just do a c-section--something I was trying to avoid like the plague, which he knew. C-section was not necessary he said. I was devastated. I had no idea how to continue. Shortly after this conversation my nurse came in the room saying they had called the head of the anestesisologist department to come in to give me an epidural. I was elated!!!!! What I didn't find out until later was he was coming from HOME. He wasn't on call, he wasn't scheduled to work, but he was coming anyway to do this for me. I did know what to do other than praise the Lord. The man came and I told him he had 1 shot. He was in and out in 10 min, I hardly felt a thing! I couldn't believe it. Oh the bliss, the heavenly bliss. It took about 10 min for the drug to get through my system and every contraction got less and less. I was able to rest, to fall asleep and my body started to do it's thing.
I went from 2 cm to 7 cm in a matter of hours and from 8 cm to pushing in about an hour. It was time to finally finish the process. I was scared, not knowing what the pushing was going to be like, but knew I had no choice so just went headlong into it. I pushed for about 45 min and after using the vacuum, receiving an episiotomy and using the forceps Cora was born. I can't describe to you the physical feeling of pushing a head, then shoulders and then the body out of yourself but it was the strangest and most wonderful feeling all at the same time. I don't remember this, but apparently as soon as she came out I said with great force, "I want to see her!" :) I had to see for myself that I had delivered this precious baby. And then, just as my sister told me, I was full of energy.
David and I finally got to sleep at about 4 a.m. today (Friday, March 27) and are exhausted. Apart from soreness from stitches and just simply pushing a baby out, I'm fine. David has taken over his role as daddy naturally--I never had a doubt. Cora is fine, she has passed all her vital tests, etc. She is nursing well and seems, so far, to be just a really complacent baby. Time will tell as far as that's concerned! :)
We get to go home tomorrow. We're so excited to take our baby girl home. She gets to meet her big "sister", Molly, the wonder dog! :) thank you for your prayers as we struggled through 21 hours of work, pain and elation. Be watching my profile for updated photos! :)
My water broke at 3:30 a.m. on TH and the contractions pretty much started then. I called my sister to join us around 5 in the morning and well, it was rough going from there on out. As the day progressed so did my contractions. My doctor highly encouraged me to start taking pitocin so that my labor would progress better. I agreed and the drug was started--just a small dose. I did the hot tub, walking, the exercise ball--nothing seemed help, I remained 2 cm for HOURS. I was getting exhausted, I was weary, my spirits were very low. I had the wonderful help of my sister and husband, who stayed beside me the entire time. They encouraged me and helped me in ways I didn't know I would need.
At around 4 or 5 p.m. on TH I was done. I could not go on. We decided I should get an epidural. They called the person who was on call and she came up to give me the epidural. Talk about a horrifying experience. This woman didn't seem to know what she was doing. She stuck me over and over, time and again, used up 3 kits and only accomplished shooting electrical shocks down one of my legs and horrible back pain. My husband was at his wits' end, I was getting more and more discouraged and my sister wasn't sure what to do. I wanted to cry. How was I going to continue on? I had been in labor for 12 hours now and was still on y 2-3 cm dilated. I still had so far to go but my body was giving out. I talked to the Dr and literally asked him to just do a c-section--something I was trying to avoid like the plague, which he knew. C-section was not necessary he said. I was devastated. I had no idea how to continue. Shortly after this conversation my nurse came in the room saying they had called the head of the anestesisologist department to come in to give me an epidural. I was elated!!!!! What I didn't find out until later was he was coming from HOME. He wasn't on call, he wasn't scheduled to work, but he was coming anyway to do this for me. I did know what to do other than praise the Lord. The man came and I told him he had 1 shot. He was in and out in 10 min, I hardly felt a thing! I couldn't believe it. Oh the bliss, the heavenly bliss. It took about 10 min for the drug to get through my system and every contraction got less and less. I was able to rest, to fall asleep and my body started to do it's thing.
I went from 2 cm to 7 cm in a matter of hours and from 8 cm to pushing in about an hour. It was time to finally finish the process. I was scared, not knowing what the pushing was going to be like, but knew I had no choice so just went headlong into it. I pushed for about 45 min and after using the vacuum, receiving an episiotomy and using the forceps Cora was born. I can't describe to you the physical feeling of pushing a head, then shoulders and then the body out of yourself but it was the strangest and most wonderful feeling all at the same time. I don't remember this, but apparently as soon as she came out I said with great force, "I want to see her!" :) I had to see for myself that I had delivered this precious baby. And then, just as my sister told me, I was full of energy.
David and I finally got to sleep at about 4 a.m. today (Friday, March 27) and are exhausted. Apart from soreness from stitches and just simply pushing a baby out, I'm fine. David has taken over his role as daddy naturally--I never had a doubt. Cora is fine, she has passed all her vital tests, etc. She is nursing well and seems, so far, to be just a really complacent baby. Time will tell as far as that's concerned! :)
We get to go home tomorrow. We're so excited to take our baby girl home. She gets to meet her big "sister", Molly, the wonder dog! :) thank you for your prayers as we struggled through 21 hours of work, pain and elation. Be watching my profile for updated photos! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment