With that kind of title how could you NOT want to read this blog? :) :) Last summer we decided to put up a hummingbird feeder. I, especially, really enjoyed watching the little buggers swoop in for their sugary treat! I finally got it back up the other day and already they're flocking. I was watching the feeder last night and noticed that a male (I know he's a male due to his bright red neck and green back) was perching on the hanger thing we have the feeder on. I then noticed that every time another hummingbird would come in for some food he would dive-bomb them and shoo them away! This was hilarious to watch. Was he sitting there waiting for his mate, his girlfriend, or just being a selfish little pest? Not sure, but it was funny! I'm hoping to get some photos of them one of these days. I would encourage you to get one of these feeders. You don't have to get the already-made nectar, you just make your own (1 part sugar to 3 parts water). You can add red food coloring if you want, but this year I decided not to and they're still coming. I'd say if you have kids, this would be an especially fun addition to your yard this summer! Just be sure to take it away in Sept so they fly south and don't freeze to death! :) We were given this ominous warning last year... :) :)
On to "Bucket Man"--as we're calling him now! :) David and I got settled into bed last night (about 10:30) and heard a truck pull in at the front--this is a common occurrence, as I've said before. It quickly became apparent that they weren't just turning around, so David went to the window just in time to see this man, carrying a big, 5-gallon bucket, sprinting between the house and church going back towards the neighbors on the other side of the church. We didn't see him for about 5 minutes and then suddenly here he comes (w/out the bucket this time) running again, hopped back into the truck and sped away. WHAT IN THE WORLD????????? We don't know. We don't understand. We were worried he planted some kind of explosive or started a fire, or something deviant, but this morning everything seemed fine. We are perplexed, to say the least. Sigh...we were left really wondering about this place, the rednecks here and their peculiar ways. We were then left to wondering (not the first time), how do we reach them? How do you reach a community that seems to have no hope?
Anyway, here's to dive-bombing hummingbirds and the Bucket Man!
No comments:
Post a Comment