Thursday, September 23, 2010

Parenting

I'm a parent. Some days I'm good parent, some days I'm a bad parent, some days I'm a mediocre parent. But, being a parent has helped me have some understanding of the frustration God must feel towards me all the time. How many times during the day do I have to tell Cora "no?" How many times do I have to guide her into a different direction? How many times do I have to pick her up and wipe her tears? How many times have I been so proud of her for accomplishing something, learning something new or simply obeying? She's only 17 months old and yet the answer to all of these questions is "countless."

I have been thinking a lot about all of this and how it coincides with God's parenting me. How many times have God had to tell me no and I throw fits and stomp my feet and ball my eyes out and yet he still says no? Sometimes I know later why he said no but often I don't. I probably wouldn't understand his reasons anyway. How many times has his hand guided me towards safety when I was bent on going my own direction? How often has he picked me up and wiped my tears away when I was hurt? Countless times.

The question I am somewhat plagued with is, how often has God been proud of me for simply obeying? I sure hope the answer is "countless" but sometimes I'm not so sure. I hope I have done "countless" things for the Lord to be proud of and I hope that I'm learning the hard lessons as well as the easy ones. One day I'll know.

As I have had to discipline my daughter more and more lately (what with the "terrible twos" upon us) I have been thinking a lot about the discipline the Lord has had to give me. When she won't listen or asks over and over and over for something I say no to, I find myself putting myself into Cora's shoes as I ask God for the same thing over and over. I'm so glad God is more patient then me. I'm glad he's ALWAYS a good parent, a fair parent, a loving parent. I'm glad he's NEVER a bad or mediocre parent.

I sure have a long way to go in regards to parenting and being parented. You?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great
love,
mom

Ruthie said...

Parenting is a continual learning curve! It is the most humbling experience, due to all the reasons you spoke of in this post. It's amazing that all it takes is a toddler to cut us down to size and make us realize what we must look like to the Lord at times! :) I would make one correction - you are always the perfect Mom for Cora, for God brought you together for this mother/daughter dance. You will have mediocre days, and even bad days, but you'll always be her Mommy, and the love that binds forgives a multitude of sins!!!! Think of it, if Cora has a bad day, you don't think of her as a bad daughter- she's just always your daughter, the one you adore. It goes both ways I believe! Love you seester. I love seeing you be a Mommy to Cora - she is so blessed!